It’s another Saturday night. The football is on tele (yawn), the baby is sleeping peacefully in our bed, and I’m doing some editing for my new blog site in my room (I’m also fluffing around in facebook forums and eating ice cream). It’s a full moon. I’m just recalling the aura readers message to me a few months back at the mind-body-spirit festival who said to me “work with the cycles of the full moon; you will do your best work on the day of the full moon and three days after”. Just typing that has sent shivers down my spine!!! I’ve just confirmed with google that this full moon’s message is that “The key to balance lies in identifying and expressing our spiritual needs, while maintaining order in our everyday lives.”
I’m having a bit of a moment here, so bare with me. I would usually just leave this stuff for me to mull over myself, since I don’t really have anyone to talk to about it, but I need to frantically type it out while its fresh on my mind and so I have a record of it.
After I mentioned that I was working on my “about” section on my new blog a couple of blog entries ago, I was talking about my spirits identity. I asked you to think about who your spirit is and to send me your spiritual identities in private for me to share on my blog at a later date (and special thank you to those who truly embraced this task and took the time to do this for me and yourself, I am really grateful). I’ve just had another one of those mind-blowing, freaky, intuition-led discoveries and its seriously freaking me out. I legitimately had a tear in my eye. Rewinding to a few months ago, on my ventures to self-discovery, learning about the elements, mind/body connection, the doctrine of signatures and so forth (and if you have NO idea what I’m on about, check out my previous blog posts if you can be bothered) – I started noticing a word. A word I had never heard before, or at least never noticed before recent times. Alchemy.
Here’s where it began: I organised for my mum to meet with a healer for her arthritis a couple of months ago when she was on her holiday in Bali, their meeting spot was a cafe called Alchemy, in Ubud. It stuck in my mind at the time, but I never bothered to look into the word.
Fast forward to last month – one of my best friends visited, and was reading a fiction novel called The Alchemist. I hadn’t heard of it, but she said it was interesting. I ignored the sign, again.
The other day I was on instagram, and stumbled on a couple of other bloggers/soulpreneurs talking about the same novel, and how great it was. Ok…I hear you, intuition (you nag!). However, I got distracted and forgot to look it up. Today I asked my friend who was reading the novel, if I could borrow it next, maybe I need to read it? (getting warmer). So that takes me to right now, I’m at my computer, and I think about the word alchemy again. YES! OK! I’m going to google it. HOLY SHIT BATMAN. HOLY SHIT.
I’ve spent the last few hours immersed in the wondrous world of alchemy. Here’s a passage from a particularly informative website which has explored the many facets of the alchemy world, summarising the many books and teachings from alchemists across the world, and over centuries. A particular book called “The Alchemical Tradition in the Late Twentieth Century” by Richard Grossinger has listed the basic components of the different types of alchemy, which he has referred to as “planet science”. Check them out (my cheeky notes are in the purple):
1. A theory of nature as made up of primary elements. – yep, elements.
2. A belief in the gradual evolution and transformation of substance.
3. A system for inducing transmutation. My grand plan is to create a program for myself and others that does exactly this!
4. The imitation of nature by a gentle technology.
5. The faith that one’s inner being is changed by participation in external chemical experiments.
6. A general system of synchronistic correspondences between planets, herbs, minerals, species of animals, signs and symbols, parts of the body, etc., known as the Doctrine of Signatures. hello!?!!! already blogged about this one!
7. Gold as the completed and perfected form of the metals, in specific, and substance in general (Alchemy is the attempt to transmute other substances into gold, however that attempt is understood and carried out).
8. The existence of a paradoxical form of matter, sometimes called The Philosopher’s Stone (the lapis), which can be used in making gold or in brewing elixirs and medicines that have universal curative powers.
9. A method of symbolism working on the simultaneity of a series of complementary pairs: Sun/Moon, Gold/Silver, Sulphur/Mercury, King/Queen, Male/Female, Husband/Bride, Christ/Man, etc. In my healing course I am learning about mind/body connection, and everything I’ve been teaching myself is about creating balance, hence the marriage of two worlds which is a common theme amongst alot of things I’m into at the moment.
10. The search for magical texts that come from a time when the human race was closer to the source of things or are handed down from higher intelligences, extra-terrestials, guardians, or their immediate familiars during some Golden Age. These texts deal with the creation or synthesis of matter and are a blueprint for physical experimentation in a cosmic context (as well as for personal development). They have been reinterpreted in terms of the Earth’s different epochs and nationalities. Things like angel cards/tarot etc spring to mind here!
11. In the Occident, alchemy is early inductive experimental science and is closely allied with metallurgy, pharmacy, industrial chemistry, and coinage. I do have a focus on modern medicine at the moment…hmmmm…..
12. In the Orient, alchemy is a system of meditation in which one’s body is understood as elementally and harmonically equivalent to the field of creation. (Between East and West, the body may be thought of as a microcosm of nature, with its own deposits of seeds, elixirs, and mineral substances). I have been meditating and learning more about chakras, crystal healing etc
13. Alchemy is joined to astrology in a set of meanings that arise from the correspondences of planets, metals, and parts of the body, and the overall belief in a cosmic timing that permeates nature. I keep referring to the moon’s cycles and meanings, and of course have mentioned types of cosmic timing on many occasions lately.
Thus, alchemy deals fundamentally with the basic mysteries of life as well as with transcendental mysticism. But its approach is neither abstract nor theoretical, but experimental, in nature.
Just who were the alchemists, and why are their contributions important to us today?
The alchemists were the leading explorers of consciousness in medieval times, and their research led to a vast improvement in the conditions of human life. Among the more famous are Albertus Magnus, Paracelsus, Nicholas Flammel, and Sir Isaac Newton. Their contributions not only improved the lives of their contemporaries, but influenced the thought of many philosophers if the same and later eras, such as Meister Eckhart, Thomas a Kempis, John Dee, Johannes Kepler, Thomas Vaughn, Bishop Berkeley, Emanuel Swedenborg, William Blake, and Geothe.The contributions of these eminent alchemists are staggering: Albertus Magnus, alone, wrote eight books on physics, six on psychology, eight on astronomy, twenty-six on zoology, five on minerals, one on geography, and three on life in general from an Aristotelian point-of-view. He was a Dominican friar who was canonized a saint in 1931. No wonder I can’t make my mind up on a subject I like to explore?! check out this guy!!!
So, what is Alchemy?
It is a cross-cultural phenomena which has been practiced in various forms by ancient Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Christian Europeans, and the Islamic, Hindu and Taoist faiths. All of these use symbols to depict a process of transformation, whether this process is thought to occur inside (introverted) or outside (extroverted) of the human body. Although there are many types of alchemy, the main split seems to be between material (extroverted) and spiritual (introverted) alchemies. The deciding factor is the direction of the practitioner’s creativity. And to really let this one sink in for you all – last year when I was designing my ring range, I created 25 symbols out of thin air that at the time, represented the animal spirits I was going to work with. I have since broadened this to the geometric symbols representing a set of affirmations which aid in both physical and spiritual transformation.
SO….what does all this mean? well. I’m a bloody alchemist, aren’t I? I have been sub-consciously practicing alchemy for the last year and didn’t even know what it was.
here’s the logo I designed for my business. I didn’t look into the symbolism of things much, just went with the fact that a pentagon is a 5 sided shape, and I will be working with the 5 elements so that should be a feature. In my alchemy surfing tonight I found these interesting facts about the geometric shapes and their meanings, kinda freaky right?! I like to think that the hexagram has just been slightly morphed into circular points instead of the ones on the star, perhaps a more modern take on the symbols meaning and the fact that the circle around it gives it wholeness.
And here’s a definition from P.T. Mistlberger more specific to spiritual based alchemy (not the chemical/scientific alchemy type)
“alchemy is thus a means by which we re-structure our personality and the various levels of our identification with it, so as to realize the infinite potential of our true being. It is essentially a comprehensive roadmap, using colourful and sophisticated symbols, detailing the means and steps by which we get ourselves ‘out of our own way’ and allow our highest and best destiny to unfold.”
Now its Sunday night, and I’m doing the final touches to this post before releasing it into the abyss. Funnily enough, I got 2 more signs today with the word ALCHEMY!!!!! Don’t believe me? Hell, I don’t believe me either – but I couldn’t even make this shit up if I tried!
Innocently check my emails, BAM!
Creeping around on Instagram an hour later – BAM!
This stuff is coming in thick and fast, and its starting to creep me out, in a “holy shit life’s magical!” kinda way. I have had “signs” before, but I think now that I am truly listening, or have my hearing aid turned up a little louder, that they are being received much more loud and clear. cool, huh?
As a final summary, I thought it would be cute to do some angel cards on all this, just to see if I had found something I was looking for this week or if there was any further clarity I needed.
Adriana says that I am leading towards the answers to my prayers. To please listen to and follow the steps she is communicating to me through my intuition, thoughts and dreams. (gulp!)
Aurora confirms I’m flying high right now, which may threaten others, but says not to descend, because others will soon become inspired by my example. She is totally spot on. this is my fear card. I have been thinking all day, that well, am I just bat shit crazy? will people stop reading because I’ve lost the plot to fairy land??!! I needed this reality check. Fear is going to always keep me from being who I want to be, so I’m never going to not do something, just because others may not get it. I get it. Thats all that I need to focus on, being my biggest cheerleader in life.
And finally, my mate Daniel – who is the angel of marriage says he is assisting me right now. No, not a literal marriage – he’s showing me how to connect the dots, to bring it all together. Which is exactly what the word “Alchemy” has done for me. Its tied all this crazy searching, finding and learning into one big neat package for me. Knowing that this is actually A THING (that I haven’t just made up, and that many others have explored themselves) makes me feel like I belong, to a much greater picture. It’s liberating, and so exciting! I can’t wait to continue on this adventure and take some of you with me!
On a final note, perhaps last weekend when I set up my very first ‘Element Alter’ that this sent out a very powerful message to the universe to send me something amazing! the alter I set up was dedicated to the Air element – air represents our thinking and reason. Its the element that guides our thoughts, helping to bring clarity and higher intellect. It can also represents inner turmoil, but reminds us to always do things with love in our hearts. So thats exactly what I have been issued this week – clarity. Wow, to say a weight has been lifted off my shoulders is an understatement!
complete with my “AIRESS” illustration, scented candle and incense for aroma, some small ‘lavender like’ flowers (which is a flower linked to the air element) and two of my crystals which are coloured in pink and green, the heart chakra/air chakra colours.
Now, I know not all my readers are into this spiritual stuff, but if you are reading this – thank you. Thank you for taking enough interest in my journey, even if your own truth looks nothing like this. The best thing about all this is that you have watched it unfold in front of your eyes, and even though we don’t all know what is next, we know that there is going to be something amazing. Not just for me, but for you. We can look back at this very moment in time and say “this is when it all really began” (whatever it may be!)
love, light and alchemy
References: 1. http://spiritualalchemy.iwarp.com/rich_text.html2. http://www.ptmistlberger.com/psychospiritual-alchemy.php